The following applies to Office 2007 and 2010
Each time you open a file it is stored on your Recent Documents list located within the Office Button menu, allowing you to quickly access that file at a later time. However, it is possible for that file to drop off the list if many other documents have been opened since the last time you worked on the file.
You can Pin the file to the Recent Document list so that it will not be removed. This saves you from needlessly searching for the file.
Pin a File on the Recent Documents list:
- To keep, or Pin, a file in the Recent Documents list, click the Microsoft Office Button.
- Click the Pin icon located to the right of the document name.To Unpin, click the Pin icon once again.
Don’t see any files on your Recent Documents list?
If you do not see any files listed in the Recent Documents list, the option may be set to show no items.
To customize the Recent Documents list:
- Click the Office Button.
- Click the application’s Options button at the bottom of the menu.
- Select Advanced.
- Scroll down to the Display section.
- Change the Show this number of Recent Documents control to the number of files you wish to see. (Maximum is 50)